I skimmed an article today about the possible demise of traditional bookstores. With the increased use of electronic readers, as well as huge online book sales from Amazon.com, the need to take our bodies to a real bookstore may be coming to an end.
One day, will I be a little old lady in a rocking chair wistfully telling my grandchildren about the joy of spending an hour browsing through aisles of new books?
I'll tell them about the tendency to "hush" as you entered...
About picking up this book, then that book....all with that new book smell.
Judging books by their covers and sometimes being disappointed but usually being pleasantly surprised.
The bright and welcoming children's corners where a weary book- loving mom could keep an eye on her little book-loving kiddies.
The embedded coffee shop which made great meeting places for book clubs. Or just for solitary reading and sipping after the purchase of a brand new book.
Oh, yes, old lady me will say....those were the days.
The future grandchildren will roll their eyes but ask me to tell them the one about those typewriter things again.
I hate those reading devices...I love books...the way they smell.....the way they feel, I can write in them
ReplyDeleteMiriam