What matters most to me?
At first glance, I thought, this is easy. My family. I'm a wife. I'm a mother of two adult children. I'm a daughter of an octogenarian. I'm the sister of an adult with multiple handicaps. They are the center of my life and the main source of my worries.
Financial security matters to me so I can help my children, my mother, my brother. Being financially secure allows me to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle and do things that bring me joy. Financial security enables me to not be a burden to anyone else.
Success in my teaching career....giving my best and having high expectations for my students. Being a positive influence on young people matters a lot to me.
Good health is important. Chronic health problems have that domino effect. Even with health insurance, finances are strained. Time with family is limited. Restrictions on activities may be necessary.
As I visualized and fantasized a perfect day, I realized that health may be the foundation of all that matters to me. At no point in a perfect day, am I limited by poor health. In my perfect day, I am mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically strong and alert.
Which led me to wonder why I was being so lackadaisical about my health--mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical? Sure, I make it to my annual checkup. I take the blood pressure medicine prescribed to me. But when was the last time I actually made it to the gym? I know my job can be stressful but is ice cream really the best choice for a stress reliever?
This exercise in "What Matters Most to Me?" made me get off the couch, set some goals, back away from the ice cream, and generally, become more proactive about maintaining great health.
No comments:
Post a Comment