And so begins one of my favorite children's books. Grace is a girl after my own heart. I originally bought this book to read to my children when they were young. Now I use it in my sixth grade classroom.
I love using picture books to teach my sixth graders more complicated literature concepts. One of my favorite is Amazing Grace written by Mary Hoffman and illustrated wonderfully by Caroline Binch. I use this to do a lesson on characterization.
Grace is a young black girl who loves stories. She also loves acting out stories. Naturally, when her class is going to put on a play, Peter Pan, she desires to play the lead character. She is discouraged from trying out by her classmates who remind her that Peter Pan is white and a boy. Grace's grandmother boosts her confidence by taking her to a ballet whose lead ballerina from Trinidad.
An activity sheet is included.

No comments:
Post a Comment